Chipotle seasoned venison tenderloin pieces on a bed of shredded cabbage and avocado cream, topped off with a fresh and delicious strawberry salsa. These Venison Street Tacos are my contribution to the current street taco trend.
Street Tacos seem to be a big thing right now and I can totally get why they are. They are smaller, easier to handle and super delicious. I’ve had them a couple of times in the last few months when eating out and decided that it was time to make some at home with Venison as the protein. Hence, Venison Street Tacos were born. Adding a fresh fruit to the topping of a taco is a perfect mix. I feel like we have a nutritional powerhouse right here. Lean protein and strawberries high in super antioxidant vitamin C are a great combination in this street taco.
Whenever I have something with some heat, I love to add something that gives a sweet contrast. Strawberry Salsa seemed to be the perfect addition to add that sweet factor. I love strawberries and am so happy that we are able to get Florida Strawberries in New York right now! When I went shopping for these, I made sure to buy two containers. I just knew that if I didn’t I would wish I had!
While doing some research on strawberries nutritional content, I discovered that just one serving was 160% of the recommended daily value for Vitamin C! I also discovered that they have 2 grams of fiber in one serving, that they can improve heart health, lower the risk of some cancers, and lower blood pressure. I’d say there are more than just delicious reasons for eating strawberries! They are overall great for your health!
The Strawberry Salsa on these Venison Street Tacos worked very well. The heat from the chipotle seasoning used on the venison combined with the fresh cooling strawberry salsa was perfect. I also made a cilantro and avocado cream for these tacos to help cool down the spicy side of the meat.
Grumpy will usually give me grief when he finds out my intentions are to feed him anything with the word “taco” in it. Especially if it is anything away from the norm for a taco. (In his opinion anyway!) But, he has been doing really well allowing me to feed him healthier due to necessity on his part so even though he didn’t like the “sound” of what I was making, he said he would try them anyway.
It turns out he ate four Venison Street Tacos. Enough said. I think you need to go make these right after you take a look at some of the other great recipes created with Florida Strawberries!
- For the meat:
- 1 lb sliced venison tenderloin
- 1-1/2 teaspoon Chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- cooking spray
- For the salsa:
- 2 cups diced strawberries
- 1 small jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon finely minced red onion
- 1 lime, juiced
- For the avocado cream:
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- juice from 1/2 lime
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- additional ingredients:
- shredded cabbage
- flour or corn tortillas
- Toss together venison slices, Chipotle powder, garlic powder, onion and salt. Coat hot skillet with cooking spray. Add venison and cook over medium to medium low heat for 7-10 minutes.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl add strawberries, jalapeno, red onion and lime juice. Stir to combine and set aside.
- In food processor or blender add avocado, sour cream, lime juice and cilantro leaves. Process until creamy. Add salt to taste if desired (not too much!)
Show us your Strawberries photo contest presented by #SundaySupper and Florida Strawberry Growers Association. To Enter: Share a photo featuring a strawberry using the hashtag #FLStrawberry and you could win a $100, $50, or $25 gift card. Contest runs from 12/27/15 – 01/17/16.
Winners will be chosen at random and announced during the LIVE #SundaySupper Twitter Party 01/17/16
Must be US resident 18 years of age or older.
Be sure to follow Florida Strawberries and Strawberry Sue on their social media channels for great recipes and ideas!
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Florida Strawberry Growers Association in conjunction with a social media campaign through Sunday Supper LLC. All opinions are my own.
Strawberries for Starters
- Crispy Strawberry and Brie Bites by Ruffles & Truffles
- Strawberry Balsamic Chicken Flatbread by The Crumby Cupcake
- Strawberry Basil Goat Cheese Ball by Take A Bite Out of Boca
Strawberries for Breakfast
- Creamy Strawberry Chia Seed Avocado Smoothie by An Appealing Plan
- Fresh Strawberry Breakfast Parfait by The Freshman Cook
- Strawberry Balsamic Frittata by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Strawberry Bread by Desserts Required
- Strawberry Breakfast Cake by Recipe for Perfection
- Strawberry French Toast Kabobs by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Strawberry Guacamole & Bacon Toast by I’m Not the Nanny
Strawberries for Lunch
- Strawberry-Poppyseed Chicken Salad Sandwiches by Casa de Crews
- Venison Street Tacos by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Strawberry Brie Flatbread Salad by Family Foodie
- Strawberry Caprese Salad by Life Tastes Good
Strawberries for Dinner
- Balsamic Pork Salad with Strawberries and Goat Cheese by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Healthy One Pot Chicken Strawberry Paella by Food Done Light
- Pecan Chicken with Strawberry Chipotle Salsa by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Quinoa with Salmon and Strawberries by Cooking Chat
- Strawberry BBQ Meatballs by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Strawberry Risotto by Magnolia Days
Plus don’t miss Delicious Strawberry Ideas and Sweet Recipes by Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.