This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. Mini Caramel Coconut Chip Scones were created for this shop #IDSimplyPure #CollectiveBias
Little bits of chocolate, baked into a whole wheat scone, glazed with a caramel glaze and topped with some toasted coconut. Mini Caramel Coconut Chip Scones are a great pairing to your morning coffee routine! Relaxing on the weekend? Getting ready for work and on your way out the door? Either way a hot cup of coffee flavored with International Delight Simply Pure Coffee Creamer and one of these Mini Caramel Coconut Chip Scones are bound to make your morning much more satisfying!
The first thing I do every morning when I get out of bed is head to the kitchen and make my coffee. I am up very early every morning, usually around 4 am! I spend about an hour with my coffee and laptop, then head down to the elliptical where I spend just a little over an hour, hoping to rev my metabolism up with some exercise!
On my lunch break I will either walk the mall or walk the two story Walmart just down the road from where I work. Yes! I said two stories. During one of my recent walk/shops at Walmart, this new International Delight Simply Pure Creamer caught my eye in the Dairy Section. In checking out the packaging for the creamer, I noticed that the ingredient list included real milk, cream, and sugar which is something I like to read – real ingredients! There are three flavors – Vanilla, Caramel and Hazelnut. I always gravitate towards caramel anything so that was the flavor that came home with me!
One morning, while drinking a cup of coffee with my new creamer, I thought wouldn’t a mini scone be delicious with this?! Something with a little chocolate, coconut and caramel to be exact! Grumpy and I both love those flavors together, so I set out to make these scones.
I wanted to make mini scones, just because they are so cute! Two of these mini scones makes one serving. Once baked, the exterior is a little crispy and so delicious with the caramel glaze and toasted coconut topping.
It is best to dip the scone bites in the glaze while they are still slightly warm, and top them immediately with some toasted coconut flakes while the glaze is still wet. Like most scone recipes, these are best enjoyed the same day they are made. If they sit for longer than a day, they will tend to become soggy.
How about you, what would you make to pair with your coffee flavored with International Delight Simply Pure Creamer? Would you use the creamer in your recipe?
The week of March 3-6, 2016 there will be demos for International Delight Simply Pure Creamers in select locations! Be sure to check out this link to see if there is one in your area!
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold, unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup reduced fat sour cream
- 1 egg white, separated
- 1 tablespoon water
- for the glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3-4 tablespoons International Delight Simply Pure Creamer, caramel flavor
- 16 teaspoons toasted coconut flakes (1/2 teaspoon per scone)
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in bowl; cut in butter with pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add sugar and mini chocolate chips to flour mixture and stir to combine.
- Combine sour cream, egg yolk and water in bowl with whisk until smooth. Stir sour cream mixture into flour mixture.
- Turn out onto lightly floured surface and knead about 8 to 10 times to combine all ingredients.
- Divide dough in half. Pat each half into circle about 1/2 inch thick. Cut each circle into 16 mini scones. Place on baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Beat egg white in bowl with fork until frothy. Brush tops of scone dough with egg white. Bake 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool 10 minutes.
- Combine all glaze ingredients in bowl, adding enough creamer for desired glazing consistency. Dip tops of scones into glaze, top with toasted coconut and set on cooling rack to dry.