Mom’s Lentil Toastadas is probably one of my favorite recipes from my mom. Mom calls these “toastadas” because they are made on toast! The toast is layered with lentils and cheese topped with a lettuce salad and drizzled with a little ranch dressing. This is a very quick and easy and meal for anytime of the day!
Mom’s Lentil Toastadas are my contribution as part of the Sunday Supper “Mom’s Favorite Recipe” event. This event is being hosted by Christie of A Kitchen Hoor and Wendy of Wholistic Woman. Thanks Christie and Wendy!
When I blogged Mom’s Lentil Tostadas back in 2009 I shared the recipe the way my mom makes it, which isn’t terribly far from the way I make it. The major change I made with this recipe was the type of bread used and the preparation of that bread. Yes, unlike a regular tostada, mom’s recipe is made with toast so it is labeled toastada!
I found this bread called Tuscan Pane bread at Trader Joe’s. They make a white and wheat version. While the wheat version is good, I do like the white one better so in this one instance, I buy the white. I love the texture of this bread. It’s soft on the inside yet crusty on the outside and when it’s grilled in a hot cast iron pan with a little butter spray, it feels like you’re eating fried bread!
Mom always toasted her bread in the toaster and so did I until recently. Now I fry my bread for these lentil toastadas! My idea for frying the toast came from a memory of mine from when I was young. My parents would take us camping almost every weekend and one of our favorite treats in the morning would be fried bread.
Buttered on both sides and fried in the skillet on the Coleman camp stove in the midst of pine trees and nature. That buttery crispy fried bread tasted so good! I decided to replicate that idea for these tostadas to give them that guilty pleasure feel and it made this a total comfort food for me.
The hot lentils go on top of that toast and then immediately the cheese and salad toppings. The heat from the lentils makes the cheese melt slightly and makes a bit of a buffer between the hot and cold ingredients.
If you haven’t tried this lentil recipe before (I know a few blogging friends who have!) then it is a must try recipe. It is a great vegetarian meal to serve your family on Meatless Monday as well as quick and easy for any night of the week. The lentil is a slightly spicy, high protein seed and perfect for those meatless recipe days.
Seasoned cooked lentils on buttery fried bread topped with lettuce, tomato, olives and onion. Drizzle with a little ranch dressing for that final tasty touch!
- 1/2 c. uncooked lentils
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1-1/4 cup water
- Salt and Pepper to taste or Everyday Seasoning
- 1 Chicken Bouillon cube
- 2 slices tuscan pane bread
- 2 tbsp Mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup chopped lettuce
- 1/2 tomato, diced
- 1/2 cup grated part skim mozzarella cheese
- 6 large black olives, sliced
- 1 tablespoon red onion, diced fine
- 1 tablespoon hidden valley ranch light dressing
- Cook lentils in lightly salted water with onions and seasonings until mixture is soft and thickened. (I started with 3 cups water - you may have to add a little water as the lentils cook). Check occasionally. This can be done ahead of time and warmed at mealtime.
- Toast bread slices. Spread with dressing or mayonnaise and top with lentils, lettuce, tomatoes, cheese and other toppings of your choice.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size1 toastada
Amount Per Serving Calories 504Total Fat 21gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 17gCholesterol 16mgSodium 1355mgCarbohydrates 55gFiber 8gSugar 7gProtein 25g
Nutrition information is provided as a courtesy, but will vary depending on the specific brands of ingredients you use. Please consult with your doctor regarding specific health needs.
Starter Recipes (Appetizers, Beverages, Breakfast):
- Banana Bread Baked Oatmeal by Cooking With Carlee
- Frozen Pina Colada by The Redhead Baker
- Goats Cheese Rolls with Honey and Thyme by Manu’s Menu
- Mom’s Banana Bread by Family Around the Table
- Mom’s Famous Poppy Seed Bread With A Citrus Glaze by And She Cooks
- Mom’s Wine Spritzer by Momma’s Meals
Salad, Side Dish, and Sauce Recipes:
- Asiago Bruschetta Roasted Asparagus by Flavor Mosaic
- Italian Country Salad by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Mom’s Cucumbers in Vinegar by Simple And Savory
- Mom’s Homemade Perogies by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Mom’s Potato Salad by Palatable Pastime
- Polish Haluski (Pan Fried Noodles & Sauerkraut) by The Crumby Cupcake
- Spinach Salad with Simple Vinaigrette by Cooking Chat
- Zippy Barbecue Sauce by Amee’s Savory Dish
Main Dish Recipes:
- Chicken and Egg Salad Sandwich by The Freshman Cook
- Grilled Chicken with Poblano Cream Sauce by Casa de Crews
- Fried Smelt by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Granny Smith’s Meatloaf by Get the Good Stuff!
- Jean’s Best Vegetable Soup by Food Lust People Love
- Lemon & Garlic Herbed Roasted Chicken by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Mama’s Favorite Southern Fried Chicken by The Chef Next Door
- Mom’s Cheese & Onion Enchiladas by The TipToe Fairy
- Mom’s Lentil Toastadas by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Mom’s Moussaka by My Life Cookbook
- Shirley’s Potato Soup by Our Good Life
- Mom’s Spare Ribs To Go by An Italian in my Kitchen
- Mom’s Sukiyaki: Japanese Beef and Vegetables Hot Pot by Asian In America
- Myra’s Super Supper by Tramplingrose
- Pizza Meatloaf by A Mind Full Mom
- Slow Cooker Cabbage Rolls by Cookin’ Mimi
- Apple Bread Pudding with Butterscotch Sauce by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Apple Crisp by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Baklava by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Brown Sugar Pudding by Un Assaggio of Food, Wine & Marriage
- Butter Balls by Feeding and More
- Carrot Cream Cheese Coffee Cake by Pies and Plots
- Chocolate Cherry Truffle Cheesecake by What Smells So Good?
- Crustless Pecan Pie Rice Pudding by Desserts Required
- Double Layer Chocolate Cake with Red Wine Chocolate Buttercream by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Easy Classic Date Squares by She Loves Biscotti
- Gluten Free Strawberry Rhubarb Cake by What The Fork Food Blog
- Homemade Chocolate Cherry Candies by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Hungarian Crepes: Palacsinta by My Gourmet Connection
- Lemon Cookies with White Chocolate and Mint by The Finer Cookie
- Lemon Pound Cake with Lemon Glaze and Roasted Strawberries by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Mom’s Apple Pie by Wholistic Woman
- Mom’s Famous White Icing by Monica’s Table
- Moms Mayonnaise Cake by My World Simplified
- Pavlova with Raspberries and Cream by Caroline’s Cooking
- Rocky Road Brownie Sundae for Mom by The Weekend Gourmet
- Rose Shortbread Cookies by Baking Sense
- Sour Cream Cheesecake by Magnolia Days
Plus What Mom Really Wants for Mother’s Day plus Mom’s Favorite from Sunday Supper Movement.