Avocado slices that are breaded with a chipotle flavored breading then baked until crisp. These delicious Baked Chipotle Avocado Fries are so addicting that you cannot stop at eating just one! I ate everyone of these fries all by myself!
I ate deep fried avocado fries for the first time at a restaurant/bar in Albany about 9 months ago. I’ve never forgotten how delicious those fries were and have craved them ever since. A few weeks ago I decided to go ahead and try making some of my own. Because I don’t care to deep fry food too often, I decided to go ahead and bake my version.
I made an egg wash and mixed some panko as well as whole wheat bread crumbs with some salt, pepper, and chipotle powder. Since I was baking these avocados, I used avocados that were still slightly firm.
I placed them on a well sprayed cookie sheet, then sprayed the tops of them with the cooking spray.
While the Chipotle Avocado Fries were in the oven, I made my dipping sauce with Greek yogurt, Sriracha, honey, lime and cilantro with a little bit of salt.
I was really hoping that I was going to be able to convince Grumpy to eat some of these. After all, they were “fries”. However, there were also “avocado fries” and that wasn’t going to get past him! I tried to convince him that since he loved the Steak with Grilled Corn Avocado Salad, that he would love these Baked Chipotle Avocado Fries but no go. He would not try them!
These Avocado Fries were the only thing I ate the afternoon I made these. The sacrifices we sometimes make as food bloggers! Needless to say, I was very satisfied and not hungry the rest of the day!
The first time I made these, I coated them with a mixture of breadcrumbs and panko. I decided to try and reduce the carbs like I did with Cashew Breaded Baked Zucchini Chips and tried using the cashew meal for the coating on another batch. After making them both ways, I feel the best way flavor and texture wise was the breadcrumbs and panko. The coating was crispier with the breadcrumbs and while the cashew meal had good flavor, it didn’t add as much to the fries as the breadcrumbs did.
I’m looking for other dipping sauces that may go well with avocado fries. While the one I made was delicious, I’m all for more than one kind of sauce to dip in! What other types of sauces would you use to dip your fries in?
- 2 large avocados, sliced
- salt, pepper and chipotle chili powder to taste
- 3/4 cup panko
- 3/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Dipping Sauce:
- 1/4 cup non-fat Greek yogurt
- sriracha sauce to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon chopped cilantro
- Mix the salt, pepper and chili powder, panko, and breadcrumbs together. Dip them in egg and then Dredge them in breadcrumb mixture.
- Place the avocado slices in a single layer on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Spray the tops of the avocado slices and bake in a preheated 425 oven until golden brown, about 15-20 minutes.
- Stir together sauce ingredients and serve alongside fries.
- [img src=”https://www.grumpyshoneybunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/label-9-184×300.png” width=”184″ height=”300″ class=”alignleft size-medium” title=”label (9)”]