Your classic New York Crumb Cake made with a little extra special with a chocolate crumb streusel topping! Dense and delicious with your morning cup of coffee, tea, or milk!
Sometimes it just is not a weekend morning unless I can have a sweet treat. I love my mom’s doughnuts and I really love my recipe for Pumpkin Spice Cinnamon Buns but I didn’t feel like frying or waiting for dough to rise! So I decided to make a New York Crumb Cake with a Chocolate Streusel Topping!
I don’t know what got into me to bake over the weekend. We have been having some really hot and humid days in New York. I would say this recipe was worth warming the house up a little more though. It is definitely a occasional treat recipe. It has a lot butter in it. A whole cup in just the topping! Fortunately, it makes a lot of servings. Just don’t eat more than one and you will be ok. Promise!
I love sitting on our back deck with a cup of hot coffee, a piece of warm coffee cake, and nature! Mornings are always so pleasant and everything is waking up at that time of day. We have been really fortunate to have so many beautiful weekend mornings this summer!
New York Crumb Cake is known for it’s thick streusel topping. There is almost as much topping as there is cake! Normally it is a cinnamon flavored streusel but I was having a craving for a little chocolate so I added chocolate to my topping. I think Grumpy wasn’t too crazy about it. I’m not sure why. He ate some, but he didn’t eat as much as he will other treats (like my M&M Cookies!) I did take it to work however, and one of the lawyers, I will call her “the sugar loving lawyer” said she liked it. I heard her tell the others in the office to eat the edge pieces because she liked the middle pieces most. HA! She and Grumpy have this thing going about who is going to eat the sweets I make. Seems she made out this time because she got most of this cake!
What are some of your special weekend treats you like to serve your family?
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1/3 cups nonfat yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For topping:
- Mix sugars, cinnamon, and salt in medium bowl and stir to blend. Pour melted butter over top of sugar mixture and stir to blend. Add flour and toss with fork until moist clumps form. Set aside.
- For cake:
- Preheat to 350°F. Coat a 13 x 9 x 2-inch glass baking dish with cooking spray. Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into medium bowl. Using electric hand mixer, beat room-temperature butter in large bowl until smooth. Add sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating until well blended after each addition. Add sour cream and vanilla extract and stir until blended. Do not overstir.
- Add flour mixture in 1/2 cup at a time, beating just until incorporated after each addition. Spread cake batter to prepared baking dish and even with rubber spatula or back of a large spoon. Squeeze small handfuls of topping together to form small clumps. Drop clumps evenly over cake batter, covering completely. Be sure to use all of the topping – it will be thick, but that is how you want it to be.
- Bake cake until tester inserted into center comes out clean and topping is deep golden brown and slightly crisp, about 1 hour. Cool cake in dish on rack at least 30 minutes.
- [img src=”https://www.grumpyshoneybunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/label-21-184×300.png” width=”184″ height=”300″ class=”alignleft size-medium” title=”label (21)”]
New York Crumb Cake – PIN IT!