Soft Pumpkin Cookies are frosted with a Buttered Rum Frosting and are full of pumpkin flavor! Decorate with fall sprinkles and these make the perfect cookie to take to your fall festival! Great for parties or for sitting on the deck enjoying the fall weather with a cup of hot tea these soft pumpkin cookies are sure to give you that comforting feeling! These are also the perfect beginning to #PumpkinWeek!
Today is the beginning of Pumpkin Week, the week where 80+ food bloggers are bringing you all things pumpkin! I am sharing with you my very favorite cookie for fall, the Soft Pumpkin Cookie with Buttered Rum Frosting. For me, this cookie is the first food I must make for the celebration of fall. Fat, soft, moist, full of pumpkin flavor all accented with the perfect pairing of rum! Of course, the fall colored jimmies top it off perfectly!
I have made this particular soft pumpkin cookie recipe for years now and all I can say, is it never fails me! It comes together quickly and easy and only takes 15 minutes in the oven to bake. Your house will smell heavenly!
As I have made these over the years I have come up with a few tricks to have them turn out perfectly. My small cookie scoop is the best cookie baking tool. It scoops the perfect amount of dough for the cookies, there is only one problem. Sometimes the particular recipe is a dough that holds it shape when baking, like these pumpkin cookies.
I have tried many ways of flattening the dough out some. I’ve used the bottom of a glass dipped in sugar which works pretty well. I’ve also used the palm of my hand, which is not recommended. It’s messy and the dough sticks to your hand. My biggest problem when trying to flatten the cookie out is the instrument used for flattening sticks to the cookie. The solution I came up with that works perfectly for this recipe is the back of a silver spoon that has been dipped in water! Just dip the back of the spoon into a small amount of water before pressing each cookie to flatten it out some.
Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes, or just until they are dry on the top and no indentation is left when pressed slightly with your finger.
Cool and frost with a buttered rum frosting. These two flavors meld together perfectly and speak fall loud and clear!
What is your favorite pumpkin treat? Be sure to check out the links below the recipe for some more pumpkin inspiration!
- 2-1.2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon cloves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For the Icing:
- 1-1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1-1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 4 tablespoons spiced rum
- 1 tablespoon half and half
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ground cloves, and salt; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, cream together the ½ cup of butter and white sugar. Add pumpkin, egg, and 1 teaspoon vanilla to butter mixture, and beat until creamy. Stir in dry ingredients.
- Drop on cookie sheet by tablespoonfuls; flatten slightly. *tip: I flattened by using the back of a tablespoon that I had dipped slightly in water to prevent sticking.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes in the preheated oven. Cool cookies, then frost with icing. If you use more half and half you can just drizzle the icing. I wanted to frost and decorate with fall sprinkles!
- To Make icing: Combine confectioners’ sugar, milk, melted butter, and rum extract. Add milk as needed, to achieve drizzling consistency.
Adorable Turkey Crust Pumpkin Pie from Kudos Kitchen by Renee.
Amish Pumpkin Roll from Palatable Pastime.
Double Pumpkin Gnocchi from Caroline’s Cooking.
Gigi’s Spiced Pumpkin Pecan Bread from Family Around The Table.
Healthy Pumpkin Oatmeal in the slow cooker from Feeding Big.
Lisa’s Pumpkin Soup from Cooking With Carlee.
Mini Pumpkin Pecan Cheesecakes from The Crumby Cupcake.
Pecan Pumpkin Cobbler from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks.
Pumpkin Bread from The Freshman Cook.
Pumpkin Bread with Maple Glaze from Making Miracles.
Pumpkin Brulee Tart from The Redhead Baker.
Pumpkin Cookies with Butter Rum Icing from Grumpy’s Honeybunch.
Pumpkin Creme Brulee from Love and Confections.
Pumpkin Glazed Bacon from Rants From My Crazy Kitchen.
Pumpkin Laksa from Culinary Adventures with Camilla.
Pumpkin Milkshake from A Day in the Life on the Farm
Pumpkin Muffins from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings.
Pumpkin Pretzel Bites from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures.
Pumpkin Spice Affogato from The Bitter Side of Sweet.
Pumpkin Spice Granola from The Chef Next Door.
Spiced Pumpkin Cider from Gluten Free Crumbley
Be sure to follow me on all my social media channels to see what I’m sharing!
Want to receive free recipes in your inbox? Click here to Subscribe to Grumpy’s Honeybunch and get my free Soft Cookie eBook!
Pin it! Soft Pumpkin Cookies with Buttered Rum Frosting