Triple Chocolate Mousse Cake is a chocolate lover’s dream! It magically creates distinct layers in the cake resulting in a gorgeous cake that looks like it came from a bakery! Easy to put together and bake, you can impress your friends when you tell them you made it yourself!
Today, for #Choctoberfest2016, I am sharing with you one of my newest obsessions! The first time I ever saw this recipe I was impressed by the layers. My first thought was “how” does this happen? You know, the mousse part being at the top of the cake, which is really the bottom of the pan?
When mixing this cake I realized what causes it to layer after getting to the 3rd layer step in adding the batter to the pan. The cream cheese mixture is a very thin mixture that you gently spoon over the top of the other two layers (the chocolate syrup and the cake mix batter). As you spoon, you see the thin liquid slowly start to sink into the cake and it ends up in the bottom of the pan.
The other very important part is you actually cover the cake pan with aluminum foil before baking and bake it in a water bath. As a cake baker, the thought of covering your cake pan before baking with foil may cause a bit of alarm. After all, we are used to cakes rising slightly above the pan! Go against your instincts here because it works, I promise!
I want to thank Imperial Sugar for being a #Choctoberfest sponsor again this year! As our Gold Sponsor they are contributing to our prize pack giveaway with over 80 pounds of sugar! Be enter the giveaway and check out the link up below the recipe for more great chocolate recipes! (for more information on the entire prize package, click the link to the giveaway post!
Three layers of chocolate in this delicious, moist cake!
- 1/2 cup chocolate syrup
- 1 pkg. (2-layer size) chocolate cake mix
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup oil
- 7 eggs
- 8 oz Cream Cheese, softened
- 1 cup Imperial granulated sugar
- 12-oz (1 can) evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 8 cup bundt pan with cooking spray and pour 1/2 cup chocolate syrup into bottom of bundt pan.
- Place 3 eggs, water, oil, and cake mix into large mixing bowl and mix with hand mixer until well combined. Pour batter over top of syrup in bundt pan.
- In another large mixing bowl combine the softened cream cheese and sugar until well combined. Add remaining eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add evaporated milk and melted chocolate and stir until well combined. Batter will be very runny.
- Gently spoon cream cheese mixture over cake.
- Cover bundt pan with aluminum foil and place in large shallow pan, adding water to shallow pan until it covers the bundt pan about 2 inches.
- Bake in oven for 1 hour and 30 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean when inserted into cake.
- Remove from oven and cool completely. Place entire bundt pan (with cake) in refrigerator and refrigerate at least two hours.
- When ready to serve, invert cake onto serving platter and see the magic!
Serving Size:1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 174Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 68mgSodium: 82mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 0gSugar: 16gProtein: 4g
PIN IT – Triple Chocolate Mousse Cake