These Stuffed Mushrooms are made with only 6 ingredients and full of amazing flavor. The spicy venison sausage is toned down slightly by the cheese filling and the white wine. This recipe is low carb, keto friendly, and a perfect appetizer for guests!
If you’re looking for a stuffed mushroom recipe that does not use breadcrumbs as an ingredient, then you have found the right place! My mainstay for dinner is a meat, such as beef, chicken, venison, or fish cooked in a skillet or on a grill top and served with a side of veggies. No starch, and low carb. Often times, I will make an appetizer recipe like this one and it will be our meal for the evening!
These are so easy to make! Simply sauteed some onion and the stems of the mushroom caps in a pan sprayed with cooking spray, then added the hot sausage and cook that until it is crispy and browned. I like to cook my sausage a little longer and on a little higher heat near the end to brown it up good!
The cream cheese and shredded cheddar/gruyere cheese holds the sausage together well and no breadcrumbs are needed to help bind these babies together. I like to top with a little bit more shredded cheese before baking. I really love the flavor of the sausage and the cheese combination!
Once these are popped in the oven, it will take about 18-20 minutes to bake. These should be baked until the cheese on top of the mushrooms are lightly browned. Sprinkling a little bit of fresh thyme over top of these right after they come out of the oven ads another element of delicious flavor!
These are perfect for popping into your mouth whole if you have a smaller mushroom. Feel free to use a plate and fork if the mushroom is bigger! Grumpy laughs at me because I like to use a plate, fork and knife to cut even the smallest mushroom. I’m dainty like that!
I love the flavor of the hot sausage and cheese combined. While I used venison hot sausage, you can substitute pork, chicken or turkey sausage. Now, roll up them sleeves and lets make some of these tasty treats!
Pin it! Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms
- 1/3 lb ground venison hot sausage, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1-8 oz container baby portobello mushrooms
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Clean mushroom caps and remove stems. Set caps aside and chop stems into small pieces.
- Cook ground venison sausage over medium heat until no longer pink. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Add onion and mushroom stems to skillet and cook until softened. Slowly add white wine to deglaze pan and simmer until wine has evaporated. Add sausage and cream cheese to skillet and stir to combine. Stir in 1/2 half of shredded cheddar.
- Spoon filling into mushroom caps. Sprinkle with remaining cheddar and bake in 400 degree oven for 15 - 20 minutes. Remove from oven and serve while hot.
Carbs: 3 g, Protein: 25 g, nutrition information calculated via myfitnesspal. Please use this only as a guide.