Blueberry Sweet Rolls are a delicious, sugar-free and grain-free way to enjoy your morning brunch. A keto breakfast roll dough made with coconut flour, cheeses, and a little sweetener is filled with a sugar-free blueberry sauce. They are rolled up, sliced and baked to perfection. Then, frosted with a little vanilla flavored frosting for an delicious brunch treat!
Perfect for a weekend brunch, these low carb Blueberry Sweet Rolls are excellent next to a cup of hot coffee. Weekends are a time for indulging in our sweet tooth, albeit a sugar-free sweet tooth! And, these breakfast rolls do not disappoint!
This post is sponsored by Glucerna but the content and opinions expressed here are my own.
Enjoying our sweets on the Keto Diet
The Keto lifestyle has become the mainstay in this home for me. Learning how to cook and bake in a way that is healthier for us to eat has been a learning experience. While Grumpy doesn’t follow the Keto Diet 100% he does enjoy most of the recipes I make. Being a diabetic, it is very important to us to keep his blood sugar on track.
I do this by making us treats that are similar to old recipes we used to enjoy. And, sweet rolls have always been a favorite. While the roll dough is not the same as a regular one, it works and is tasty enough to satisfy us!
Keeping Grumpy’s Blood Sugar Levels Balanced
Glucerna Carb Steady products are one of the choices that Grumpy makes to manages his diabetes. During the week he will replace his breakfast with a Glucerna Carb Steady Shake (Strawberry is his preference!). He usually takes it in his lunch box, but will drink it on his drive into work.
Packing his lunch box with foods that will help balance out his nutrition and keep his carb and sugars in check is also important. I make sure he gets protein, vegetables, some fat (dip), and a littles sweet treat to satisfy his sweet tooth if needed. Sometimes, if he is lucky, I will have a few leftover Blueberry Sweet Rolls that make it in his lunch throughout the week!
Grumpy works long and laborious days. The food that is packed in his lunchbox plays an important part in helping him get through the day without sugar spikes. I usually send only 1/2 a sandwich on whole grain bread, some fresh veggies and dip, and a cheese stick.
Exercise when not working is also important. We spend weekends doing house and yard work or sometimes we will go out and do sportsman activities such as hunting or fishing.
How Blueberry Sweet Rolls work in our Keto Diet
When the weekend gets here, I like to give us a treat for brunch, but keep it within our diet plan. That is where these Keto Blueberry Sweet Rolls come into play! Sugar-free, grain and nut free, and low carb. These sweet rolls are the ultimate treat!
Grumpy starts off with a Glucerna shake when he gets up. This helps him to hold off until a little later in the morning when we actually have our brunch.
How to handle grain-free sweet rolls
Because these sweet rolls are grain-free, they are a little more fragile to handle. For this reason I added some xanthan gum for binding. I also use parchment paper to roll the dough out and to roll it up like you would a cinnamon roll recipe.
These sweet rolls don’t have the texture of a yeast roll, but they are still extremely delicious. Sweet, satisfying and good for you. You will notice the tops and edges get a little bit darker. That’s ok. They look rustic that way! Let them cool down for about 15 minutes then add some icing to the top to make your blueberry sweet rolls extra special!
You may need
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
What’s new? Check out my Grumpy’s Honeybunch Store on Amazon! Thanks so much for being a part of Grumpy’s Honeybunch!
I highly recommend Judee’s Xanthan Gum. I use this product whenever I need to thicken any sauce or gravy as well as in recipes like this roll dough as a binder!
This recipe and the product discussed in this post is used for our own personal use. If you have diabetes, you should work with your healthcare provider for your own personal meal plan.
More Keto Friendly Breakfast Recipes
Keto Blueberry Sweet Rolls are a delicious, sugar and grain-free way to enjoy your morning brunch.
Make the Blueberry Filling
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar free blueberry syrup
- 2 tablespoons Swerve Powdered sweetener
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon Xanthan Gum
For the Sweet Roll Dough
- 2 cups part skim shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- 3/4 cup coconut flour
- 2 tablespoons erythritol (sugar free sweetener)
- 1 teaspoon Xanthan Gum
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 large eggs
For the Cream Cheese Icing
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup Swerve Powdered Sweetener
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Make the Blueberry Sauce:
- In a small saucepan, bring the 1 cup of blueberries, 1/4 cup water, 1/4 cup sugar free blueberry syrup, and 2 tablespoons erythritol to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and lightly sprinkle with Xanthan Gum, immediately stirring to incorporate completely. This will thicken the blueberry sauce. Set aside to cool.
Make the Sweet Roll Dough:
- Place 2 cups mozzarella cheese and 2 oz cream cheese in microwave safe bowl and microwave for 60 seconds. Remove from microwave and stir well to combine. Return to microwave and heat another 30 seconds. Remove from microwave and add 3/4 cup coconut flour, 2 tablespoons erythritol, 1 teaspoon Xanthan Gum, 1 tablespoon baking powder, and 2 eggs. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Wet hands and remove dough from bowl. Shape into ball and place on parchment paper. Pat dough down and cover with another piece of parchment paper. Roll out until dough into a rectangle until it is about 1/4 inch thick.
- Spread with a thin layer of blueberry sauce. Don't use all of the sauce, as it will squeeze out of the dough as it is rolled.
- Lift the long side of the parchment paper and using the paper, roll the dough carefully into a cylinder shape. With each turn of the roll, press slightly to make the roll a little tighter. When you get to the end of the roll, press lightly to seam the dough together.
- Cut the roll in half, then cut each half into 4 pieces. It will be a little messy, but that is ok! Place each piece with a cut side up in a round (8 inch) baking dish that has been coated with cooking spray or has been well buttered. There will be small gaps in the center of the rolls. You can fill those in with some of the leftover blueberry sauce. Store any remaining sauce in the refrigerator.
- Place rolls in oven and bake for 25 minutes. When done, remove from oven and cool for 15 minutes before frosting.
To make the Cream Cheese Icing:
- Place cream cheese and butter in a small mixing bowl. With hand mixer,
Net Carbs: 5g, Protein: 10g
Serving Size1 roll
Amount Per Serving Calories 250Total Fat 16gCholesterol 83mgSodium 364mgCarbohydrates 5 (net)gProtein 10g