This low carb Broccoli Salad with bacon, cheese, red bell and jalapeno pepper has that sweet heat profile that I love. It’s a sugar free recipe that meets the low carb high fat keto profile. An easy to make side dish salad excellent for picnics, reunions, and potlucks year round! It also is a great make ahead recipe for lunchboxes!
Low Carb Keto eating can be challenging. When attending a potluck style gathering, you don’t know always know what other people are putting in their recipes unless you know them well. And then, you can’t always be sure. This low carb broccoli recipe is one you can feel good about eating. And, everyone raves about what they don’t even realize is a keto recipe!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This post contains affiliate links.
A Side Salad Favorite that is great year round
The typical Broccoli Salad recipe will have dried cranberries or raisins as well as sunflower seeds. This low carb broccoli salad omits the dried fruit to remove the sugars from the recipe. One serving of this side dish recipe has 2.67 net carbs per serving.
The combination of the smoky bacon, spicy jalapeno, cheese, and slightly sweet mayo salad dressing is totally delicious and satisfying. This broccoli salad recipe cured my craving and satisfied my addiction to the sweet heat combination that I love so much! Everyone who has eaten this low carb recipe has asked me how to make it!
Ingredients used to make Keto Broccoli Salad Recipe
- I use either an erythritol based sweetener or stevia in this recipe. I add sweetener to replace that sweetness that you lose when removing the dried fruit from the original recipe. My favorite brands of sweetener are Swerve, Monkfruit, and Stevia.
- Sunflower seeds are the popular addition to give this salad a nutty flavor. These are fine to use, but I wanted a nut that was better for you that would add the best nutritional value to this side dish. This is why I went with macadamia nuts.
- Some cannot digest raw broccoli well. If this is you, it is ok to steam the broccoli in the microwave for about 3 minutes. Then rinse the broccoli with ice cold water as soon as it is done steaming. This is to cool it down quickly and stop it from cooking.
How to assemble Keto Broccoli Salad
Cook and crumble the bacon for the salad. Just microwave it according to the package and then crumble to use in the salad.
Dice and chop the broccoli, peppers, and scallions and toss them all together in a large bowl. If you prefer to use red onion in place of scallions, that is totally acceptable.
Feel free to use pre-shredded cheese. However, this type of cheese can have a dusting of flour which adds carbs to the cheese. The flour is used when packaging the cheese to keep it from sticking together. Strict Keto dieters prefer to shred their own. I like to use a brick of cheese and shred it myself.
To make the salad dressing, In a medium bowl whisk together the mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, and sweetener. I am not picky about my mayonnaise. If you are following a strict keto diet, you will want to use a mayonnaise that is keto approved.
Finally, combine broccoli mixture, cheese, bacon, and salad dressing. If you prefer to add the bacon just prior to eating to keep it crispier that is fine. I don’t mind adding the bacon when I make the salad. I like the flavor the bacon infused into the salad as it sits.
Time Saving Tips
- To save time, buy pre-cut broccoli. You may still want to break the broccoli florets into smaller pieces but still makes it more convenient.
- Buy pre-shredded cheese. For some dieters, the little bit of starch on the cheese doesn’t matter to them. It really only matters to those who are following a very strict ketogenic diet.
- Use pre-cooked bacon instead of cooking your own. Just microwave the pre-cooked bacon per package instructions to make it crispy before adding to the salad.
What to serve with Broccoli Salad Recipe
Summer calls for easy to prepare salads that you can make ahead and refrigerate until ready it’s time to serve our guests. Since many friends and family are not keto, I will also serve this with salads they may enjoy also. This Pasta Salad with Creamy Parmesan DressingandBuffalo Chicken Pasta Salad are great choices. This Dilled Cucumber and Radish Salad is a keto friendly recipe that we love to include also.
Low Carb Broccoli salad is a great side dish recipe for family dinner! Two of our favorite main dish recipes to serve this with broccoli salad are Cilantro Lime Grilled Pork ChopsandFiremen’s Field Day Chicken Barbecue.
This Keto Chipotle Burger with Crispy Shallots is another delicious recipe to serve broccoli salad with.
Text for this post has been updated to answer readers questions about the recipe.
*If you made this low carb Broccoli Salad with bacon and jalapeno, please give it a star rating!*
- 5 cups Broccoli Florets
- 1/2 medium Red Bell Pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup Jalapeno Pepper, diced
- 3 scallions, diced
- 8 slices cooked bacon, chopped
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 tsp Classic Monkfruit Sweetener
- 1-1/2 ounces macadamia nuts, chopped
- Cook and crumble the bacon for the salad.
- Dice and chop the broccoli florets, red bell and jalapeno pepper, peppers, and scallions. Toss together in a large bowl. Add the bacon and cheese.
- To make the salad dressing, In a medium bowl whisk together the mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, and sweetener.
- Stir the salad dressing into broccoli salad mixture until well combined. Refrigerate until ready to eat.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 346 Total Fat: 22.7g Saturated Fat: 7.409g Trans Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 18mg Sodium: 185mg Carbohydrates: 4.57g Net Carbohydrates: 2.67g Fiber: 1.9g Sugar: 1g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 7.27g