This Keto Broccoli Salad is made with raw broccoli, bacon, cheese, and jalapeno pepper. It has a delicious sweet heat profile that will have everyone at your next family reunion potluck asking for the recipe! With only 3 net carbs per serving, this is a side salad that is perfect for the keto diet.
Everyone loves a side dish that is easily portable. This salad fits that description perfectly. It is also a salad that will disappear quickly, so making a big batch recipe is highly recommended. Pack it up in a loved one’s lunch for an easy keto lunch salad, or serve it alongside a Cilantro Lime Grilled Pork Chop!
Picnics and potluck salad recipes
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This post contains affiliate links.
I ate Broccoli Salad at many family reunions in my childhood. It was always a favorite of mine. I loved the sweet tang of cranberry with the savory and salty flavor combination. I wanted to replicate the flavor and not lose that sweet, salty, savory flavor combination.
This Broccoli Salad is not your typical picnic salad. To make this keto-friendly, I omitted the dried cranberries to remove the sugars. And, I substituted chopped macadamia nuts in place of sunflower seeds. One serving of this keto side dish recipe has 2.67 net carbs per serving (rounded up, 3 net carbs).
The combination of smoky bacon, spicy jalapeno, cheese, and slightly sweet mayo salad dressing is totally delicious and satisfying. This particular recipe cured my craving and satisfied my addiction to the sweet heat combination that I love so much!
Ingredients needed to make this keto side dish
Powdered Sugar-Free Sweetener: Monkfruit is my sweetener of choice, and this brand is my go-to. I use a powdered sweetener due to the fact it dissolves better than a granulated one does.
Fresh Broccoli: I like to buy the entire crown and break it down into bite-sized pieces. You will need a total of 4 cups of broccoli pieces.
Macadamia Nuts: I went with this nut because it is one of the better nuts for keto. It is high in good fats and low in carbs.
Bacon: I love good thick-cut bacon. The flavor of the crispy salty fat that melts in your mouth is irresistible. Using thick cut in this recipe is recommended for that reason alone!
Jalapeno Peppers: You want just enough jalapeno to give the salad a tiny hit of heat. Feel free to adjust to your own heat tolerance.
Mayonnaise: If you are strict keto, then be sure your mayo is sugar-free.
Cheese: I always shred my own cheese and always use a mild or sharp cheddar.
Storage Bowls with lids: This is my very favorite set of storage bowls!
- To save time, buy pre-cut broccoli.
- You may still want to break the broccoli florets into smaller pieces but still makes it more convenient.
- Buy pre-shredded cheese. For some dieters, the little bit of starch on the cheese doesn’t matter to them. It really only matters to those who are following a very strict ketogenic diet.
- Use pre-cooked bacon instead of cooking your own. Just microwave the pre-cooked bacon per package instructions to make it crispy before adding to the salad.
Make this Keto Broccoli Salad your way
- Use roasted chopped pecans, walnuts, almonds, or sunflower seeds in place of the macadamias.
- Make it dairy-free and omit the cheese. To make it visually appealing, add 1/2 cup shredded carrot to the salad in place of the cheese. Be sure to adjust the carb count accordingly
- If you prefer cooked broccoli, you can blanch the broccoli and let it cool before assembly.
- The sweetener is optional here. I added it to replace the little bit of sweetness you get with the cranberries in the original broccoli salad recipe. If your good without it, that’s fine, just omit it.
- If you really miss the cranberries, you can use no sugar added dried cranberries. They will not increase the carb count by much.
Other low carb salad recipes to try
Strawberry Rhubarb Salad is a nice spring to summer recipe that is a great side dish for chicken.
Strawberry Fluff Salad makes a great side salad for picnics or just make a batch to enjoy for breakfast!
Grilled Asparagus Halloumi Salad makes a delicious light dinner salad recipe.
Marinated Tofu Salad is perfect for the low carb dieter who is also vegetarian.
*If you made this low carb Keto Broccoli Salad with Bacon and Jalapeno, please give it a star rating!*
Keto Broccoli Salad is a delicious picnic salad recipe full of flavor from bacon, jalapeno, and cheese. A much loved family favorite recipe.
- 5 cups Broccoli Florets
- 1/2 medium Red Bell Pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup Jalapeno Pepper, diced
- 3 scallions, diced
- 8 slices cooked bacon, chopped
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 tsp Powdered monkfruit Sweetener
- 1-1/2 ounces macadamia nuts, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook and crumble the bacon for the salad.
- Dice and chop the broccoli florets, red bell and jalapeno pepper, peppers, and scallions. Toss together in a large bowl. Add the bacon and cheese.
- To make the salad dressing, In a medium bowl whisk together the mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, and sweetener.
- Stir the salad dressing into broccoli salad mixture until well combined. Refrigerate until ready to eat.
Serving Size1 cup
Amount Per Serving Calories 346Total Fat 23gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gCholesterol 18mgSodium 185mgCarbohydrates 5gNet Carbohydrates 3gFiber 2gSugar 1gProtein 7g
Nutrition information is provided as a courtesy, but will vary depending on the specific brands of ingredients you use. Please consult with your doctor regarding specific health needs.