Keto Rhubarb Dream Bars are a layered dessert bar made of a shortbread crust, a layer of rhubarb custard, and dreamy cream topping! This will become your favorite keto rhubarb recipe this spring!
These Rhubarb Dream Bars are a delicious dessert to serve to from the time rhubarb starts to pop out of the ground and is ready to harvest! This makes an impressive dessert to take to picnics, family reunions or potlucks!
Why I made a Keto version of this Rhubarb Recipe
I made a non keto version of rhubarb custard bars for years. So, when my rhubarb was ready to harvest, my mind naturally went to that recipe and how much I wanted to eat it. So, Keto Rhubarb Dream Bars were born!
I went about creating a shortbread made with almond and coconut flour, coconut oil, and Swerve sweetener. The rest was easy, as custard is naturally low carb as long as you are using a sugar-free sweetener like Swerve!
Rhubarb Dream Bars Recipe FAQ’s
Yes, you can substitute heavy whipped cream. Just be sure your cream cheese is softened before folding them together.
If your coconut oil has solidified, then I recommend melting it prior to adding to your crust ingredients.
To get the correct crust ratio, you need to use a 9 x 13 baking dish. The crust in the photos may look like it is thicker, but due to the nature of the ingredients, the custard baked into the crust some, making the crust look thicker than it is.
The original recipe calls for flour, which is used to thicken. I removed the flour and experimented with Xanthan Gum. You could also just add an extra egg or two to help the dream bar custard firm up more.
How to make Keto Rhubarb Dream Bars
This Keto Rhubarb Dream Bar will become your next favorite Keto Rhubarb Recipe!
- Prepare your rhubarb
Wash and dice your rhubarb.
- Prepare the shortbread layer
Mix together the crust ingredients. It will not become dough like. It should look like the photo below.
- Prepare the bottom layer.
Press the crust mixture into the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish. Then place it in the oven to bake.
- Combine the custard ingredients
When the crust is done baking, mix together your custard ingredients.
- Add the custard layer
Pour the rhubarb custard mixture over the baked shortbread crust and return to the oven to finish baking.
- Remove from the oven
Once baked, remove from the oven and cool completely.
- Add the cream topping
Once the bars have cooled completely, Mix together the cream topping and cover the baked rhubarb dream bars with the topping. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
More favorite Keto Rhubarb Recipes you may enjoy
I am such a huge fan of rhubarb recipes that I have several that are made often every year when my rhubarb comes to harvest. Recipes like Strawberry Rhubarb Chia Pudding and Mom’s Rhubarb Sauce recipe are two of my favorites. I also love this Low Carb Rhubarb Coffee Cake!
Keto Rhubarb Dream Bars are a layered dessert bar made of a shortbread crust, a layer of rhubarb custard, and creamy topping! A low carb, sugar free, keto version of one of my favorite desserts!
- 1 cup almond flour, finely ground
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 3 ounces coconut oil
- 1/4 cup Swerve, granular
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 5 cups fresh rhubarb, diced
- 4 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups Swerve, granular
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup almond milk, unsweetened
- 1 tsp Xanthan Gum
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Cream Topping Ingredients
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups sugar free cool whip, thawed
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup Swerve
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- To prepare crust, combine almond flour, coconut flour, swerve, salt, and coconut oil in a bowl. Combine with a fork until mixture resembles coarse meal. Press mixture into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
- To prepare filling, In a large mixing bowl combine eggs, swerve, almond milk, heavy cream and vanilla and mix until well combined. Sprinkle lightly with Xanthin Gum and stir until well combined. Stir in rhubarb. Pour over partially baked crust and return to oven. Bake for another 50 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- To prepare topping, in a medium mixing bowl combine softened cream cheese, swerve and vanilla. Fold in sugar free whipped topping. Spread over completely cooled bars. Store in refrigerator.
For Keto: 4 net carbs, 16g fat
Nutrition information calculated using myfitnesspal is provided as a courtesy, but will vary depending on the specific brands of ingredients you use. Please consult with your doctor regarding specific health needs.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size1 square
Amount Per Serving Calories 166Total Fat 14gSaturated Fat 9gTrans Fat 0gCholesterol 65mgSodium 85mgCarbohydrates 7gFiber 2gSugar 1gProtein 3g