Keto Rhubarb Dream Bars are a layered dessert bar made of a shortbread crust, a layer of rhubarb custard, and creamy topping! This recipe came about because of my complete and total love of rhubarb and my desire to have a low carb, keto version of one of my favorite desserts!
I have made a rhubarb custard bar for years now. So when my rhubarb came in, my mind naturally went to that recipe and how much I wanted to eat it. However, even though my mind wanted it, my body knew it needed a keto version.
These rhubarb bars were very easy to make keto. I made the shortbread crust with almond flour, coconut flour, and replaced the sugar with swerve.
I am ecstatic with the fact that I have rhubarb growing at home now. It is probably one of my favorite spring treats (next to asparagus). I think my next recipe is going to be a barbecue sauce made with some of said rhubarb!
When I made the custard, I added an extra egg and sprinkled a little xanthan gum lightly over the mixture to help thicken it some. It worked out perfectly!
The 9×13 pan worked perfectly and the custard filled out the 2nd layer without being too full. I did find that I had to bake this a little longer than the non-keto version of this recipe. However, as you can see below, they turned out wonderfully!
After removing from the oven, the rhubarb bars will need to cool. Once they are completely cooled, you can make your cream topping, spread over top of bars and garnish with fresh slices of strawberries!
Be sure to Pin Keto Rhubarb Dream Bars to your favorite dessert board!
- 1 cup almond flour, finely ground
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 3 ounces coconut oil
- 1/4 cup Swerve, granular
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 5 cups fresh rhubarb, diced
- 4 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups Swerve, granular
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup almond milk, unsweetened
- 1 tsp Xanthin Gum
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Cream Topping Ingredients
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups sugar free cool whip, thawed
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup Swerve
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- To prepare crust, combine almond flour, coconut flour, swerve, salt, and coconut oil in a bowl. Combine with a fork until mixture resembles coarse meal. Press mixture into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
- To prepare filling, In a large mixing bowl combine eggs, swerve, almond milk, heavy cream and vanilla and mix until well combined. Sprinkle lightly with Xanthin Gum and stir until well combined. Stir in rhubarb. Pour over partially baked crust and return to oven. Bake for another 50 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- To prepare topping, in a medium mixing bowl combine softened cream cheese, swerve and vanilla. Fold in sugar free whipped topping. Spread over completely cooled bars. Store in refrigerator.
For Keto: 4 net carbs, 16g fat
Nutrition information calculated using myfitnesspal is provided as a courtesy, but will vary depending on the specific brands of ingredients you use. Please consult with your doctor regarding specific health needs.
Set 4 Pioneer Woman Colorful Bandana Kitchen Table Napkins
BOB'S RED MILL, Flour, Og2, Coconut, Pack of 4, Size 16 OZ, (Gluten Free Kosher 95%+ Organic)
Bob's Red Mill Super-Fine Gluten Free Almond Flour, 3 Pound
Swerve Sweetener, Granular, 12 oz (Pack of 3)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 square
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 166 Total Fat: 14g Saturated Fat: 9g Trans Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 65mg Sodium: 85mg Carbohydrates: 7g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 1g Protein: 3g