Keto Rye Bagels are a keto-friendly, delicious, low carb alternative to a regular bagel. They have the look and feel of a rye flavored bagel and are perfect for making bagel sandwiches, chips, or to enjoy as a side to your morning plate of eggs and bacon!
This grain-free recipe was developed to replicate a rye flavor bagel that I could use for sandwiches. While there is no rye flour in the recipe, I did come up with some substitutions to give it the look and feel of a rye bagel!
Why I made a Keto Rye Bagel
There are two bready items I loved to buy when I would be out and about and needed a meal or snack to get me by. One was a Pepperoni Soft Pretzel like you would get at Auntie Anns, and the other would be a Skinny bagel sandwich that I would buy at Bruegger’s Bagels.
While I didn’t eat those non-keto foods often, when I wanted one, I would miss the fact I couldn’t have it! So, I set about to find a way to make a Keto bagel that I could use to make one of my favorite sandwiches with!
Making your Keto Rye Bagel as authentic as possible
To give this bagel recipe the look and flavor of rye, I used a little bit of cocoa powder, yacon syrup,
The best way I found to assist in getting some of the rye flavors without using flour, is to process the dry ingredients together in a food processor. Then mix the cheese mixture with flour mixture by hand with a sturdy spoon or spatula.
Because your low carb bagel is gluten free, meaning it does not have the same properties as a regular bagel, you will not boil it first. Doing so would likely be disastrous. Rather, you will roll it out over a silicone mat before shaping.
I rolled each bagel section out to be approximately 1″ thick and about 6″ long. You don’t want it to be too thin and you don’t want a super wide hole in the center. You can use the photo below as a guide. This dough does rise, so the hole will close in some, but shouldn’t close in completely. You should be able to stick your finger in the center of the bagel without touching the dough.
How to successfully create a low carb bagel recipe
- Add the dry ingredients to a food processor and pulse them together to infuse the cocoa powder and caraway seeds into the flours.
- Mix the microwave cheese ingredients into the flour mixture by hand. Using the food processor to do so may cause the hot cheese to come up through the center of the blending attachment into the mechanical part of the processor.
- Use a sturdy spoon or spatula to mix the dough. You want to be sure the cheese and dough are blended together well.
- Use a silicone mat to roll the dough out into a rope.
- If your dough sticks to your hands, slightly dampen your hands with water.
- Pinch together the dough with your fingers when shaping into a bagel form. Then smooth the crease as much as possible.
You may need
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
What’s new? Check out my Grumpy’s Honeybunch Store on Amazon! Thanks so much for being a part of Grumpy’s Honeybunch!
You may be wondering what Yacon Syrup is and where you can get it. Yacon Syrup is a natural sweetener with very few calories and low sugar levels, making it a great product for diabetics. It has a molasses-like flavor and a little bit goes a very long way. It is perfect for giving depth in flavor to these Keto Rye Bagels!
Other flavored Keto Bagel recipes you may like
Soft, chewy, with a killer taste and bursting with summer berries.
These low carb bagels are flavoured with spicy jalapeno and topped with cheese.
Did you make it? Please rate the recipe below!
- 1-1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1-ounce cream cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1-1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tablespoon caraway seed
- 1/2 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon yacon syrup
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Place almond flour, baking powder, caraway seed, cocoa powder, and yacon syrup in food processor bowl.
- Process flour mixture about 5-6 seconds. Set aside.
- Whisk egg in small mixing bowl.
- Place mozzarella and cream cheese in microwaveable mixing bowl. Microwave 1 minute. Remove from microwave and stir. Microwave 30 seconds more and stir to combine.
- Add flour mixture and egg to cheese mixture.
- Mix with a sturdy spoon or spatula until all ingredients are well incorporated and dough takes a ball shape.
- Divide dough into 4 sections.
- Roll each section into a rope shape approximately 1 inch thick and 6 inches long.
- Bring ends of rope together to form a circular shape. Press seams together and smooth with fingers.
- Place bagels on parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for approximately 15 minutes or until bagels should be golden brown and firm to the touch.
Serving Size:1 bagel
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 278 Total Fat: 18g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 14g Cholesterol: 61mg Sodium: 539mg Carbohydrates: 11g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 3g Protein: 22g