This recipe for Strawberry Rhubarb Salad is sponsored by CK Mondavi and Family. All opinions are my own.
Summer is the time for salads and picnics and this Strawberry Rhubarb Salad is the perfect addition to your menu this summer! A new and delightful rhubarb recipe that is easily portable!
Strawberry Rhubarb Salad
Because I love strawberry and rhubarb so much, I knew that I wanted to find something new that would serve as a salad side dish or even as a rhubarb dessert recipe. When it comes to summertime picnics or gatherings I always like to take something different. And, this Strawberry Rhubarb Salad turned out to be the perfect thing to make and take this summer!
Often times I like to take a couple of special treats on a picnic, one recipe I love to bring along is our favorite Low Carb Cheesecake Fruit Dip and would be another great addition to your picnic basket!
FAQ’s about Keto Rhubarb Recipes
Rhubarb is not rich in essential nutrients, but it is rich in Vitamin K, a vitamin that can be lacking when following the Keto diet. It is low in calories and high in fiber, and a great fit for the Keto diet all around!
You can freeze rhubarb, however, this particular recipe requires fresh rhubarb. Once frozen, Rhubarb takes on a different texture and you need to start this recipe with a firm stalk.
Green rhubarb is completely edible. It tastes the same as the red variety. The only difference is the color.
The rhubarb is steeped in sweetened water. However, the end product is only subtly sweet. It has a tartness that will be complimented by the other ingredients in this rhubarb salad recipe.
This is made with fresh ingredients that will break down after a couple of days. This salad is best eaten within 2-3 days.
Assembling your Strawberry Rhubarb Salad
Making this salad is very simple! What I love about this salad, is your also making a syrup that not only is utilized in this rhubarb recipe, but can also be used to make other recipes, such as this Rhubarb Martini!
Simply start by removing the leaves from your rhubarb, and then washing the stalks under cold running water.
Next, the rhubarb will need to be steeped in your sweetened water bath. Bring the water to a boil, then place the rhubarb pieces in the hot sweetened water.
Let it simmer about 30 seconds, then turn the heat off, cover the saucepan with a lid, and then, let it steep for 15 minutes. At the end of 15 minutes, your rhubarb should resemble the photo below.
Once the rhubarb has cooled, you will be ready to assemble the salad dressing. And, it’s really very easy and simple to put together!
You just need a little pineapple syrup, the rhubarb syrup that you steeped your rhubarb in, some lemon juice, and fresh chopped mint. This will all be poured over the strawberry rhubarb salad, and then refrigerated.
The strawberries and steeped rhubarb will be tossed together in a large bowl, then the rhubarb syrup dressing will be poured over top and tossed with the fresh mint. At this point, you can store your salad in the refrigerator until you are ready to pack it up for your picnic!
When you are ready to consume the salad, a sprinkling of chopped roasted and salted macadamia nuts finish it off, adding another texture and a little salty nuttiness to the strawberry rhubarb salad!
Tips for a successful Strawberry Rhubarb Salad Recipe
- Be sure to not simmer or steep the rhubarb for too long. If you do, the rhubarb will begin to break down and become more of a sauce.
- Remove the rhubarb from the hot water with a slotted spoon and place in a bowl to cool.
- Let the Rhubarb cool completely. Then, assemble the salad.
- Skip the lemon juice and use some CK Mondavi and Family Sauvignon Blanc instead!
Want to win a trip to Napa Valley and play Bocce with the Mondavi Family?
How would you like to win a trip to Napa Valley and hang out with the Mondavi Family while playing Bocce? This is your chance! If you win, make sure you come back and let us all know just how awesome it was! (I’ll be very, very jealous – but also happy for you too!)
More about CK Mondavi and Family Wines!
I love wine year round, but summertime is probably one of my favorite times to enjoy wine! A nice chilled glass of white wine is so refreshing. And, even Grumpy will enjoy a glass of Chardonnay with me!
Picnic Perfect Recipes!
If your like me and love portable recipes that are perfect for picnics, then you may also enjoy this recipe for Broccoli Salad! This is one of my most popular recipes on the website and its SO delicious! I am also looking very forward to making this Summer Cucumber Salad with Spicy Vinaigrette Dressing for our next outing!
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup Swerve Granulated Sweetener
- 2 cups Rhubarb, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 tbsp Jordan's Skinny Pineapple Syrup
- 1 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 3 cups fresh strawberries, quarted
- 1/2 cup roasted chopped macadamia nuts
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves
To Make the Syrup
- Stir together water and sweetener in a small saucepan over medium-high; bring to a boil, and cook, stirring occasionally, until sugar dissolves.
- Add rhubarb to pan; cook 30 seconds.
- Remove pan from heat. Cover and let stand until rhubarb is tender-crisp, about 15 minutes.
- Remove rhubarb with a slotted spoon, reserving rhubarb syrup.
To Make the Salad
- Stir together skinny pineapple syrup, lemon juice, and 2 tablespoons rhubarb syrup in a large bowl.
- Add rhubarb, strawberries, and mint; stir gently to combine.
- Just before serving, sprinkle with macadamia nuts.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Jordan’s Skinny Syrups | Sugar Free Pineapple Syrup | Healthy Flavors with 0 Calories, 0 Sugar, 0 Carbs | 750ml/25.4oz Bottle
Swerve Sweetener, Granular, 12 oz (Pack of 3)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 107 Total Fat: 8g Trans Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 4mg Carbohydrates: 9g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 5g Protein: 2g