This recipe for Chicken Taco Soup – Low Carb Instant Pot Recipe first appeared on Low Carb Maven where I am an author.
Chicken Taco Soup is a low carb instant pot soup recipe ready in under 30 minutes. Made with just 4 ingredients, this soup recipe is creamy and full of flavor. It is a delicious comfort food meal for the low carb keto lifestyle!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This post contains affiliate links.
A QUICK AND EASY LOW CARB SOUP RECIPE
I love Mexican flavors. So, whenever I have a craving for something with a spicy taco feel to it, I try to find a way to make something quick and easy to satisfy that need. I was craving a taco soup and wanted it fast. As a result, I decided to use my Homemade Salsa and Kim’s Low Carb Taco Seasoning and put it in the Instant Pot with some chicken broth to make this chicken taco soup.
The end result was delicious and hubby and I loved it! This low carb soup recipe is now on our regular meal rotation. I love the fact that it’s a one-pot meal that is ready in under 30 minutes. With our busy lives, quick and easy meals that taste good and fit our low carb diet are a great find!
USING THE INSTANT POT TO MAKE CHICKEN TACO SOUP
I made this Chicken Taco Soup in the instant pot. I love one-pot meals that I have to do very little work for! For this recipe, all of the ingredients (except the cream cheese) are placed in the pot. In just 20 minutes, your soup is ready. The pressure cooking makes the meat so tender it will shred easily and it infuses the flavors nicely. Plus, it’s really easy to clean up!
This chicken taco soup recipe can also be made in the slow cooker. It will take longer, but it is a set it and forget it recipe and is still very easy to make. You will make it the same way as the instant pot method. The only difference is the cooking time which would be on low for 4 hours.
VARIATIONS OF THIS RECIPE
This low carb chicken taco soup is a pretty basic recipe. While it is really delicious the way it is made, you could make it different ways to add variety.
- Use diced canned tomatoes with chilis in place of the salsa.
- Spice it up some more and add 1/2 – 1 tbsp chipotle in adobo sauce.
- Saute fresh mushrooms, onion, and garlic with a little butter or avocado oil on the saute setting prior to adding the rest of the ingredients. (this changes your nutrition information)
- Substitute boneless chicken thighs for the chicken tenders and add 5 minutes to the cooking time.
- If you are averse to cilantro, substitute fresh chopped chives
- Add avocado and sour cream to the topping list
OTHER EASY SOUP RECIPES MADE WITH THE INSTANT POT
I love making instant pot recipes for soup. Cooking and clean up is so easy and the flavors are so delicious. We enjoy this recipe for Cheesy Cauliflower Soup on a regular basis. And this instant pot Vegetable Beef Soup Recipe is really delicious!
WHAT TO SERVE WITH CHICKEN TACO SOUP
This recipe is very filling due to the protein and fat content. Because of this, you may not need much to accompany it. However, some people love to have that added crunch to their taco soup and with this being a low carb keto recipe, those crunchy tortilla strips that usually go on top are eliminated.
There is a solution to this! If you really crave that crunch you can do a couple of things. First, you can break up some pork rinds into smaller pieces and top with those. Or, you could use Parmesan Crisps. This adds crunch and additional cheese flavor!
*If you made this recipe, please give it a star rating*
A low carb chicken taco soup that is full of delicious creamy flavors! A great lunch recipe!
- 1 lb chicken breast tenders
- 1 cup salsa
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 tbsp Low Carb Taco Seasoning
- 8 oz full-fat cream cheese room temperature
- 4 tbsp fresh chopped cilantro optional
- 1 lime, cut into wedges, optional
- fresh sliced jalapeno, optional
- shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- Add chicken, taco seasoning, chicken broth, and salsa to the instant pot. Be sure release valve is in the sealing position. Press the manual button and choose a 15 minute cook time. The instant pot will begin it's cycle.
- After 15 minutes the instant pot will beep to let you know the cook time has completed. Let the it sit for 10 minutes. Then turn the valve to release position.
- Remove the chicken from the instant Pot and shred with a fork.
- Turn the instant Pot on the saute setting. Add the cream cheese and whisk until combined with chicken broth mixture.
- Return shredded chicken to the Instant Pot and let simmer 3-4 minutes.
- If desired, top with shredded cheddar cheese, cilantro, jalapeno, and lime wedge.
Amount Per Serving Calories 215Total Fat 10.62gCarbohydrates 10.75gNet Carbohydrates 8.65gFiber 2.1gProtein 16.2g