Bubble Up Pizza Casserole is made with ground hot Italian sausage, pepperoni, pasta sauce, and unbaked canned biscuits. It is a quick and easy dinner recipe that the kids will love that is ready in just 30 minutes!
A convenient and easy casserole made with biscuits is great for those busy weeknights. Bubble Up Pizza Casserole is easy to make ahead of time and reheat just before your ready to eat dinner. It goes great with a serving of Caprese Salad!
A popular retro recipe and my keto option
This Bubble Up Pizza Casserole recipe was popular when my kids were young. It was a Pillsbury recipe that became popular because of the ease of making and its taste! For 1 serving, you will have 25 carbs, which, when allowing yourself a low carb diet, is not bad.
While for the most part, I stick to keto, I will incorporate a recipe like this that is not keto as a rare treat. I do make this for the rest of the family on our weekly family dinner sometimes.
When I want to stick to keto, I will reserve 1 cup of the filling (see pic above) and put it in a small single-serving casserole, top with the cheese and bake it for a 6 net carb pizza casserole dinner.
What you need to make Bubble Up Pizza Casserole
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This post contains affiliate links.
Hot Italian Sausage: We love spicy sausage on our pizza. I always buy ground hot Italian Sausage for this recipe. It adds a ton of flavor without packing too much heat.
Pepperoni Slices: I used a pork pepperoni. Cut the pepperoni slices in half or in quarters, whatever way you like. I measured the whole slices into 1/2 cup, then cut them.
Pasta or Pizza Sauce: I use a sugar-free pasta sauce. If I don’t have any homemade pasta sauce on hand, I will buy this brand. I love that it is sugar-free and much more budget-friendly than other sugar-free sauces.
Canned Biscuits: I use the flaky layers 10 count buttermilk biscuits made by Pillsbury. This particular biscuit has only 15 carbs per serving.
Cheese: I use a 3-cheese blend to mix into the pizza bake. Then I top it with the shredded mozzarella
Casserole Baking Dish: You will need a 9×13 baking dish. I have this dish that has a lid, making it easy to just cover and store in the fridge for those make-ahead days.
Make this Pizza Casserole with Biscuits your way
This Bubble Up Pizza Casserole is a very versatile recipe. You can use any ingredients you would normally put on as a pizza topping. Below are just a few ideas that may suit you.
- Use ground beef, pork, chicken, or turkey in place of the sausage. You can also sub out chicken sausage links. I love to use the buffalo chicken sausage links.
- Saute some red and green pepper with the onion and ground meat.
- Stir in 1/2 cup of black olives with the pepperoni slices.
- Substitute turkey pepperoni for the pork pepperoni.
- Sprinkle the top of the casserole with 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese and 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese.
- Substitute 2 cups of cooked penne pasta for the biscuit dough.
- Instead of mixing the pepperoni into the sauce mixture, lay it over top of the cheese on the casserole before baking.
Other Casseroles you may enjoy
All the components of a pizza tossed with canned biscuit dough and baked in a casserole dish.
- 1 pound hot Italian sausage
- 1/2 cup sliced pepperoni
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 2 cups pasta sauce
- 1 can biscuit dough
- 1 cup shredded pizza cheese blend
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a large skillet, crumble and cook the hot Italian sausage over medium-high heat for 3 minutes. Stir in diced onion and cook for 5 minutes, or until sausage has browned.
- Stir in pasta sauce and pepperoni slices and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Cut the biscuit dough into quarters and stir into the meat mixture with the pizza cheese blend.
- Transfer to a casserole dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and bake for 20 minutes or until cheese has browned.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 544Total Fat: 43gSaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 108mgSodium: 1417mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: .6gSugar: 4gProtein: 27g