This Chocolate Buttercream Frosting is a creamy and delicious homemade frosting recipe. It is super easy to make and full of chocolate flavor. The butter whips up nice and creamy with the powdered sugar and cocoa powder for the most decadent and delicious frosting for your cake of cupcakes.
I love to frost this Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake Recipe with this Chocolate Buttercream Frosting recipe. It is also great for frosting your favorite cupcake recipe. Use it on birthday cakes and cookies or mix into crumbled baked cake crumbs to make your own cake pops.
A stand by homemade chocolate frosting recipe
What I love the most about this easy chocolate buttercream frosting is it is super easy to make and ready to frost your cake in just minutes. It is creamy and delicious. Not too sweet and perfect to frost a layered cake or up to 24 cupcakes.
This is the recipe I always turn to when I need frosting and have a need for that chocolate fix. Chocolate lovers love it on a chocolate cake. And, kids and adults alike love to lick the beaters when you are done whipping the frosting!
What you need to make Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
Powdered Sugar: This also called confectioner’s sugar. It is made by finely grinding down sugar to a powdered state. It is perfect for recipes that are no-bake and used often in frostings, candies, fudge, and truffles. The powdered sugar will not crystallize like granulated sugar and is the best type to use for a no-cook frosting.
Cocoa Powder: This is my favorite brand. Sometimes I will use extra dark when I am in a true dark chocolate mood.
Milk or Half and Half: I recommend using either full-fat milk or half and half for this recipe. If you do use heavy cream, you will likely need to increase the amount to get the right consistency of frosting.
Vanilla Extract: I like pure vanilla extract. No imitation flavors here for me.
Electric MIxer: I know many people use a KitchenAid stand mixer. And, while I do own one, I do not pull it out to just make the frosting. A simple hand mixer works great.
Make this buttercream your way
- Increase the powdered sugar to 3-1/2 cups and eliminate the cocoa powder and make a vanilla frosting.
- Swap out the vanilla extract for an almond, caramel, or mint extract and a different flavor profile.
- Make it a double chocolate frosting and blend in some melted dark chocolate chips.
- Whip it up fluffier and use half shortening and half butter instead of all butter for the fat.
- Use salted butter for a salty chocolate buttercream frosting.
Make Chocolate Buttercream Frosting keto-friendly
The great thing about this chocolate buttercream frosting is it can be made Keto and low carb with one simple substitution (just 1 net carb per serving). Powdered Monkfruit. This brand is my choice for frostings and you will use the same amount of powdered monkfruit as you would powdered sugar.
There are a few things to know if you are going to go with the Powdered Monkfruit to make your chocolate buttercream. First, you may need more half and half than the original recipe. I have noticed that sugar-free frostings tend to thicken faster and need more liquid.
Add 1 tablespoon extra at a time until your frosting is of the spreading consistency you wish it to be. Then frost your keto cupcake. I love to use it on these Keto Coconut Cupcakes .
Tips for a successful frosting recipe
- Make sure the butter is at room temperature.
- Sift the powdered sugar and cocoa powder together to eliminate lumpy frosting.
- Add the half and half and powdered sugar alternately to the creamed butter. When adding the half and half, add it 1 tablespoon at a time.
Other delicious frosting Recipes
Bailey’s Irish Cream Frosting is a cream cheese frosting flavored with Irish Cream liquor.
This Caramel Frosting is fudge-like and so delicious. It is great for any flavor cake or cupcake.
Browned Butter Maple Frosting is perfect on a banana cake or cupcakes.
If you love almond flavoring, this Almond Cream Cheese Frosting is just what you need.
Peanut Butter Oreo Frosting is creamy and delicious with crushed cookies in the frosting.
Caramel Fudge Frosting is just like penuche and one of my favorite go-to boiled frostings.
*If you made this recipe, please give it a star rating*
Smooth and creamy and full of chocolate flavor. This Chocolate Buttercream Frosting is perfect for icing your favorite cakes and cupcakes.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 8 tablespoons half and half
- In a large bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar and cocoa powdered sugar until combined. Alternatively, put the sugar and cocoa powder through a sifter.
- In a large mixing bowl, using a hand mixer, mix the butter until it has become creamy.
- Add 1/2 cup of the powdered sugar and mix into the butter with 1 tablespoon of half and half, and the vanilla extract.
- Continue to add the powdered sugar mixture and half and half alternately until the frosting has come together and is creamy and smooth.
- If not immediately using, store in the refrigerator until ready to use. Remove from the fridge at least 20 minutes before using and mix with the electric mixer until it is creamy and soft.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 237Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 29mgSodium: 9mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 1gSugar: 33gProtein: 1g