Carne Asada is a flank steak marinated overnight in a sauce made with red wine vinegar, lime juice, cilantro, salt, pepper, and a tiny bit of sweetener. Once grilled, the steak is cut into slices and served as desired. The marinade gives the grilled steak so much flavor!
This recipe is delicious. It holds it’s own as a main dish, but it also great as a filling in a tortilla or as a topping on a salad. And, it is a great meal to celebrate with Cinco de Mayo!
Grilling the first steak of the season
This beef loving girl has been waiting for the opportunity to put a steak on the grill. As soon as the weather warmed up, grilling this Carne Asada was the very first thing I did!
Grilled meat brings out the most incredible flavors. Then, when you marinate it as I did for this Carne Asada recipe, it puts it over the top delicious. The steak was so tender and had so much flavor.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This post contains affiliate links.
What you need to make Carne Asada
Beef: I recommend skirt steak or flank steak. You can also use sirloin, tenderloin, or rib steak.
Coconut Aminos or Soy Sauce: I prefer coconut aminos. I love the flavor it gives. However, if you use soy sauce that works just as well.
Red Wine Vinegar: in a pinch, use regular white vinegar, but if you can use red wine vinegar, I highly recommend it.
Lime Juice: I prefer fresh squeezed lime juice, or you can use a bottled lime juice if that is what you have available.
Sweetener: If following a low carb diet, I recommend monkfruit. Otherwise, use granulated white sugar
Avocado Oil or Olive Oil
Fresh Cilantro: This is used in the marinade and I don’t recommend a substitution. If you can’t get fresh cilantro, I recommend using 1-2 tablespoons of dried cilantro.
Celebrating Cinco de Mayo with Mexican Recipes
I am a huge fan of Mexican Recipes and have been making Carne Asada for my family for over 30 years now. I also love cilantro, lime, and spice! When celebrating Cinco de Mayo, there are some other recipes you may consider trying.
3 Ingredient Cauliflower Spanish Rice (low carb)
Chicken Taco Soup (low carb keto)
Green Chicken Enchiladas (low carb)
*If you made this recipe for Carne Asada, please give it a star rating*
Grilled Marinated Flank Steak with incredible flavor that is great on its own or served with flour tortillas to make tacos!
- 1 1/2 pound beef flank steak
- 1/2 cup snipped cilantro
- 14/ cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tsp classic monkfruit
- In a large storage container, add the cilantro, red wine vinegar, lime juice, olive oil, salt, pepper, and sweetener. Whisk to combine.
- Place the steak in the marinade and turn to coat. Cover the container and marinate in the refrigerator at least 4 hours, up to 24 hours.
- Remove the steak from the marinade and discard marinade. Grill the steaks, covered, over medium heat for 17 minutes, or until 160 degrees (medium).
- Transfer the steak to a cutting board and tent with foil. Let stand 10 minutes. Cut steak against the grain into thin strips. Place steak on a serving plate and cover with any juices left on the cutting board.
- Garnish with jalapenos and cilantro if desired.
Amount Per Serving Calories 238Total Fat 16gCholesterol 45mgSodium 933mgCarbohydrates 0gFiber 0gSugar 0gProtein 17g