Keto Chicken Baseballs are made with a creamy chicken and mushroom filling that is wrapped up in a low carb pizza crust recipe into the shape of a baseball. Sprinkled with seasoned crushed pork rinds, they are then baked until golden brown.
Making the Chicken Baseball Recipe Keto-Friendly
One of my very favorite recipes to turn to when I wanted something easy and delicious was my regular Chicken Baseball Recipe. I loved how the savory cream cheese, chicken, and mushroom filling contrasted with the golden buttery crescent roll dough.
Once going keto however, that recipe was off the menu. I played around with the idea of making it keto but never did. Until last summer. The kids were home and I was making the Chicken Baseball recipe for them. So, I decided to also make a Keto Chicken Baseball at the same time.
How I adapted this recipe
The filling is the close to the same, but the crescent dough had to be substituted. I decided to make a low carb pizza crust recipe that has become my go-to pizza crust whenever making keto pizza.
I substituted the bread crumb topping with ground pork rinds that I mixed with some Italian seasoning. A full fat version of cream cheese was used instead of reduced fat and heavy cream for the milk.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This post contains affiliate links.
What you need to make Keto Chicken Baseballs
Chicken Tenders or Chicken Breast sliced into strips
Minced Dried Onion
Tips and substitutions
When making these Keto Chicken Baseballs, you need to keep in mind that it is a fragile recipe. The dough is not the same as a gluten filled crescent roll dough. It can tear easily. Below are some ways to make sure that your keto chicken base ball turns out the way it should and some substitution ideas for other ingredients in the recipe
- The keto pizza dough is fragile. You need to roll it out a little thicker than you would if you were making pizza crust.
- I highly recommend using fresh mushrooms. Canned mushrooms leave a tinny flavor to the recipe.
- Substitute leftover cooked chicken for the chicken tenders.
- Substitute thawed frozen peas for the mushrooms
- Brush the dough with egg yolk to aid in browning and help keep the dough firm.
Other Main Dish Keto Recipes you may enjoy
Asian Lettuce Cups with Spicy Ground Turkey – seasoned ground turkey with Asian flavors is wrapped up in a lettuce leaf cup for an Asian style taco.
Blue Cheese Stuffed Chicken with Buffalo Sauce is a whole chicken breast stuffed with a blue cheese filling. It is then breaded and fried with a until crispy and cooked through. The final touch is the buffalo sauce that tops off the chicken.
Garlic Shrimp Zoodle Saute is everything you love about garlicky shrimp served over a bed of zucchini noodles.
Low Carb Cabbage Rolls are made with cauliflower rice and ground beef.
Pork with Ginger Maple Sauce is quickly sautéed pork steaks with a delicious sweet and savory maple onion sauce.
Sautéed Chicken with Sage Browned Butter are chicken thighs lightly coated with seasoned almond flour and served with a sage infused butter sauce.
Vegetarian Patties with Marinara Sauce is a low carb vegetarian meal that has a ton of flavor.
*If you made this Keto Chicken Baseball Recipe, please give it a star rating*
A savory mushrooom, chicken, and cream cheese filling with a keto pastry dough wrapped around it and baked til golden.
- 1 Low Carb Pizza Crust Recipe
- 8 oz fresh sliced mushrooms
- 2 tbsp butter, divided
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- 1 1/2 tsp dried minced onion
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken breast
- 2 tbsp crushed pork rinds
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Make Low Carb PIzza Crust crust dough and roll out to a rectangular shape.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over mediume heat. Add the fresh mushrooms slices and cook for 7 minutes or until mushrooms have released their water.
- Stir the cream cheese, heavy cream, minced onion, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and chicken to the mushrooms. Toss and cook for 5 minutes, until chicken mixture is warmed through.
- Cut the rolled out keto pizza dough into 4 sections. Place 1/4 of the chicken mixture into the center of each section.
- Pul the dough up over the top of the chicken mixture and seal.
- Place the chicken baseball seam side down on a parchment lined baking sheet. Mix the pork rinds and Italian seasoning together and evenly sprinkle over all 4 chicken baseballs.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until dough is golden brown.
Amount Per Serving Calories 497Total Fat 43gCarbohydrates 10gNet Carbohydrates 8gFiber 2gProtein 22g